Russell Clark

Russell Clark 1905 - 1966

Cedric Russell Stuart Clark (known as Russell) was born on 27th August 1905 in Christchurch NZ. He studied at the Canterbury School of Art where he later became a part time teacher (from about 1925).In 1928 he commenced work in advertising agencies as a commercial artist; firstly, in Christchurch then Dunedin and from about 1937, in Wellington, living in Eastbourne. He was an official war artist in the Pacific during 1944 and many of his paintings are in the National Archive Collection. In 1947 he left Wellington for Christchurch where he had been appointed to a position as a lecturer at the Canterbury School of Art. Russell Clark is well known for his illustrations in the New Zealand Listener and the School Journal as well as other New Zealand publications and books. His paintings (both watercolour and oils) are held in many of New Zealand's Art Galleries and in private collections. Russell's well-known sculptures include the Boy and the Dolphin in Opononi, Northland, Anchor Stones in Auckland City, The Leaf Shapes sculpture at the Lower Hutt Civic Centre, Family Group at Canterbury University and the Ear on the wall of the Timaru Telephone Exchange Building. His works have been exhibited throughout New Zealand with Art Societies, The Group and the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts (Wellington). Solo exhibitions include one in Dunedin in 1949, in Wellington in 1954 and in Christchurch in 1964. A retrospective exhibition toured New Zealand in 1975. Russell Clark died in 1966 aged 60.

COPYRIGHT: Published with the permission of the Russell Clark Estate.

12 Items

per page
Set Descending Direction

12 Items

per page
Set Descending Direction